Beautiful....

Beautiful....

Monday, February 21, 2011

Day Trois!

I feel like a broken record, but I am simply exhausted.  It is 87 degrees in our bedroom and I am retaining water like a sponge.  I look at pictures and hardly recognize myself.  Slits for eyes.  Oy.

All that said, it was a wonderful day.  We spent the entire time in Croix des Mission, in Port au Prince, working with the community.  We had several things going on from helping the children trace their hands on construction paper, cut them out, and place them on a hanging shower curtain in the form of a rainbow.  Such a simple task for us, but to them, it was something they had never seen or experienced.  Many did not know what a crayon was or how to use it.  We also helped them make necklaces and bracelets - Dad - the women LOVED the beads and suede ties you bought.  I will be sure to take pictures and share them when I return.  I would estimate there were about 40 children in attendance ranging from infant to twelve and two dozen moms.  We also picked up some local bread (pain) and peanut butter and shared with the community, which was greatly appreciated.  While passing out a roll, a young mother with her child (approx. two years old) came over to me.  She lifted her daughter's dress to show me what appeared like a large - very large tumor protruding from her belly.  It was the size of at least a grapefruit, and she was asking for my/our help to find her a doctor.  I was in shock and upset and saddened all at once.  This beautiful child who if in the United States would have been treated, with the tumor surgically removed -- and in Haiti -- her young mother had no idea where to go.  Because the tumor is so painful, she cannot walk on her own and has difficulty sleeping.  After discussing with the group, we are going to head to the children's hospital on Thursday (which we were going to tour and hand out handmade dolls that same day) and talk with the doctor to see what we can do to help.  Our plan is to have her seen, have the tumor diagnosed, and in the end, find a way to help her get the surgery she needs.  We are hopeful that because it is a international hospital, which helps with fees etc., that we can either get her in for free, or for a nominal price.  Fingers/toes crossed.  Our other hope is that because of its size, it is benign, since something that large would surely have taken her life if it was malignant. 

After making our rainbow, and working on bracelets and necklaces in the a.m., Stevenson arrived to teach the children music and dance (they will perform for the community on Friday).  What a treat to see them all singing and dancing.  I met many new children and parents, and was so happy to see several old friends.  Its kind of like coming home!  By the end of the day, I had several children holding my hands, arms, legs, and playing with my hair, which they found extremely odd.  I did too, but only because of how hideous it looked!!!!!! 

I went through each bead on their necklaces and asked them in french, "en francais, verde, en anglais, c'est green!"  They LOVED learning the english version of their creole/french words.  It was awesome. 

Another team arrived tonight from Arkansas and Miami, and they will head to a different Haitian location tomorrow to work.  Its so cool meeting people from all over the world who have the same passion for helping others.  Lots of lively conversation  --- real and down to earth.  Very nice!  Tres Bon!

Tray, if you are reading this, I showed the children (and adults!) your picture on the camera - they were so excited and asked so many questions.  Il es mon garcon - J'adore Tray!  :-)

OH....and the most challenging part of the day was bathroom time, which, I tend to do a lot of.  The three-sided brick "square" which I remembered as horrifying two years ago, is about 100 times worse.  I took pictures that I will post to show the conditions here.  I was able to again hold my breath, brace myself with one arm on the back brick and finally pee.  Good lord....what we take for granted at home!!!!!!! I am pretty sure I will NEVER again complain about Reba's fur on the floor.

I will close for now - slept about 2 hours total last night.  My coughing, combined with a 45 minute car alarm sounding off, guard dogs barking and thrashing around and horns beeping, I didn't do so well (even with ear plugs).

Au revoir, and bon soir.

Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment