Beautiful....

Beautiful....

Saturday, February 19, 2011

ARRIVED!

Wow, what a day.....up at 3am, flight to NYC, then directly down to Port au Prince.  It was nice landing and feeling a bit more at ease since I have been here once before.  The old airport was pretty much destroyed in the earthquake, so what they had was pretty new, but as before chaotic.  You walk out of the plane, take a shuttle bus to your bags which are piled up in the middle of a huge room, not unlike a small gymnasiam.  People one on top of the other all in search of their belongings.  Of course, I froze (being a Vermonter/NHerite, I am not at ALL used to the chaos, crowds, sounds, and smells).  We made our way through customs and outside where we waited for two hours for another team member to arrive from Texas.  It was hot, smelly, and just filled with Haitians trying to take our bags - and some enjoying a little bit of harassment.  I am at least clued into the "petite blanc" from last time - little/short white, so knew they were talking to me. 

Once Andrew arrived from Texas, Bob was also there to greet us and we made our way to the house in a tap tap (bus-like vehicle in Haiti).  This one was EXACTLY like a paddy wagon (sp?) with caged sides etc.  NOT that I know what one of those things i like, but you get the picture. :-)  It took us over an hour to drive 10 miles.  So many tent cities, so many homeless people, so much dirt, smoke, and NOISE.  At one point the UN was behind us complete with artillary - a gun pointing right toward us.  A bit nervewracking to say the least.  We all agreed that our hope was the van didn't hit an unexpected bump...we would be in trouble.  Lots of police and armed soldiers in the streets.  We were told not to take pictures of them, or they would seize our cameras. 

We passed several cemetaries as well - they are a lot like the ones in New Orleans (above ground) but what was shocking is seeing a human skull on one of them.  Its surreal, really........then onto cock fighting, and fires down the alleyways.

When we arrived at the guest house, we were so warmly greeted.  The folks here who run it are somewhat new, and from the States.  One guy is from NYC and I can't remember where the woman is from.  I was able to venture out and see the three puppies they took in - so beautiful and sweet - but with razor-like teeth!!  I am marked up.  Then saw some baby chicks/pigeons (whatever!!) underneath the stair, and a couple of kittens.  We have guard dogs here, which we don't ever get to see. They allow them out at 11pm each night, and they are back in their cages by 6am.  Our location is in a pretty run-down part of PoP, but behind these cement walls, it is like a little haven.

Ate a great dinner - pumpkin soup!!!! And some other yummy Haitian fare.  We practiced our French songs for church tomorrow, which I am really looking forward to.  I am hoping to see all of my old friends from two years ago there.

The plan right now is church tomorrow (which lasts 1/2 the day!) then to the work site on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.  Thursday we will spend time at a children's hospital to give out dolls and hold the babies (Tray, you may have a brother/sister when I return!!) We will also visit the neighborhood in Croix des Mission to see how progress is being made with their homes.  Many of them were destroyed in the earthquake - we will be helping to rebuild some of these as well. 

There is a journalist and photographer down here who will follow us on Thursday or Friday to do a story on our work (they are also down here following  the Dartmouth-Hitchcock clinicans who are down here this week as well - they are working in Cange.  Keep on the lookout for the story in the paper!!

This evening, I spotted a beautiful young girl near the fence (she had been watching us sing), and she waved me over.  She is probably 10 years old and adorable.  I went over and she asked what my names was.  I said, "je appel robin" (have no clue how to spell it) and asked for hers.  Sara it was/is...she then asked, are we friends?  And I said, "oui, oui, tu es mon bon amie!!!"  She laughed and  hugged me and like the grinch, my heart grew 4 sizes.

Now I am off to bed, as I am about to collapse from this very long day.  Will report in tomorrow..OH - and I will also try to post pictures!!!  That will be a task for a time other than tonight.

So, bon soir, and Tray, Je t'aime beaucoup!!!!

Peace.

1 comment: